Hello and welcome to Zooniverse in Schools online!
Zooniverse and I’m a Scientist are working together to give you and your pupils a chance to be involved in real galaxy research and to chat to the researchers about the work that you have done about galaxies and space more widely.
We are working across two websites:
- You use I’m a Scientist to book Chats with, and then chat to, Zooniverse researchers, to ask any questions about the work on galaxies and space that you’ve done and share images of that work. You need to create teacher and pupil accounts to use I’m a Scientist. /zooniverse-zone/
- On the Zooniverse site you can access activities which lead you through observing and classifying galaxies, comparing your observations to those of other people and finding out what happens to all of your work. Some of these activities with require both you and your pupils to have Zooniverse accounts. The activities have educators’ guides, pupil worksheets and class videos to show. https://classroom.zooniverse.org/
Introducing the I’m a Scientist activity to students
I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here is an activity where you connect with real scientists online. We are taking part in the Zooniverse Zone.
- As a class, we will have a 30 minute live Chat with some of the scientists.
- It’s text-only; there’s no audio or video.
- In the live Chat, you can ask the scientists questions you have about galaxies and their work.
- You can see which scientists have signed up for our Chat on your dashboard when you log in.
- There will also be a moderator in the Chat, who is there to make sure everything runs smoothly.
- You can send the scientists questions in the Ask section.
- You can send questions to any scientist in the Zone, even if they weren’t in our live Chat.
- If you add an email address to your account, you’ll get an email when your question has been answered.
- Questions and answers stay on the site, so have a look around and see what others have asked.
- At the end of the Zone, the student who asked the best question will win a gift voucher!
To run I’m a Scientist you will need to:
- Arrange IT equipment for students (e.g. book computer suite, laptops, or tablets). I’m a Scientist works best when students have access to their own device. Make sure that school students are able to login on your organisations’ devices.
- Inform your IT admin team and ask them to add the websites on this list to your network allowlist ❯
We’ve prepared lesson plans which are designed to increase your students’ engagement with the activity.
The lesson plans help students understand the variety of scientists that are taking part in the Zone. Designed to cover multiple aspects of the curriculum, students are able to feel more prepared ahead of their live Chat and subsequently meet more of the learning outcomes.
See the lesson plans ❯
Running a Chat prompt Sheet
If you have booked a Chat on behalf of another teacher then pass on this guidance sheet to them
Give access to students
- From your dashboard, click MANAGE AND VIEW CLASSES to see the list of classes you’ve created.
- Give access to the activity through the pre-made login cards. Students can login with the username and password on each card.
Chat: Connect with scientists
How to book
Login and go to iasuk.ddev.site/live-chat
- Select the Zooniverse Zone
- Choose your date and time. Allow time for your students to login.
- Select a Class, or Create a New Class
- After clicking ‘Confirm Booking’, you will get a confirmation email with the next steps
Taking part in a live Chat
- When it’s time for your Chat, log in to /zooniverse-zone/
- Go to your Dashboard. You will find a link to your Chat under ‘Chat Bookings’
- A moderator will have set the live Chat up for you. Only students in your class can access your booked Chat.
- If you have any issues call us ASAP on 01225 326 892
Ask: Follow up question
Following on from a live Chat, students can ask more in depth questions to scientists taking part, even if they weren’t in the live Chat.
After your live Chat: Reflection
After your live Chat, you can use your teacher account to download a copy of the transcript. Don’t worry if you close the Chat window – you will also be emailed a link to the transcript at the end of the day.
Student participation certificate
Students are able to download and print their own certificate from their dashboard. However, if you’d rather download the student participation certificate template yourself you can do so here: Download the Participation Certificate ❯
We’re here to help. If you should have any questions, or need a hand with anything, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (+44) 01225 326 892.
You can also chat with us in the Staffroom Chat ❯ weekdays 9am to 5pm, whilst Zones are running.
(you must be logged in with your I’m a Scientist username)