• Question: Why did you go into pschology

Asked by anon-353535 on 15 Mar 2023. This question was also asked by anon-358264, anon-361249.
    • Photo: Hannah Fawcett

Hannah Fawcett answered on 15 Mar 2023:

I started out with an a-level in psychology. I had a fantastic a-level tutor who made psychology so fun and engaging so I knew that I definitely wanted to study psychology at university. It wasn’t until I got to the end of my degree that I realised that I wanted a career in psychology – I just didn’t want to stop learning!

• Photo: Kirsten Russell

Kirsten Russell answered on 15 Mar 2023:

I started studying psychology because I really wanted to help people and make a difference to peoples lives. I initially wanted to study medicine but did not get the grades that I needed to do so (I was and still am terrible at maths and chemistry!), and believed that studying psychology would still provide me with the opportunity to support people with their mental health. I am extremely glad that I chose this pathway and now I work at a university, I like to think that I can help people through both my research and my teaching!

• Photo: Laura Joyner

Laura Joyner answered on 15 Mar 2023:

I wasn’t enjoying my job very much, but had done a professional qualification in digital marketing and started becoming curious about how people behaved online. I did a short course in psychology online and enjoyed it so much I ended up leaving my job and enrolled in an MSc Psychology course!

• Photo: Eileen Xu

Eileen Xu answered on 17 Mar 2023:

I wanted to apply to medicine originally but I couldn’t apply due to health reasons. I went for my backup neuroscience because I was really interested in mental health and improving the mental health of young people. I did some mental health research in my degree and decided I wanted to keep doing that!

• Photo: Joanne Cummings

Joanne Cummings answered on 20 Mar 2023:

I found the topic really fascinating and I was curious to learn more about it. I always wanted to work with people and in psychology you get to do that and support them in their lives.

• Photo: Greta Defeyter

Greta Defeyter answered on 24 Mar 2023:

I started studying psychology at A level and liked it. To be honest, I was pretty good at it and I liked learning how the brain works, and about human behaviours. I did a degree in physics first and did not really like it, but I did not study psychology until I was much older. When I was at school, psychology A level was not an option. How things have changed!