• Question: Were you parent supportive of your journey.

Asked by anon-316865 on 10 Mar 2022.
    • Photo: Veselina Georgieva

Veselina Georgieva answered on 10 Mar 2022:

Thank you for the really good question. Yes, they were really big support, without them I don’t think I would have been here. They were sometimes very strict and insisted on me to have good marks at school and this made me put in even more effort but It is all worth it. For them was difficult when I left my home country but once again they were supporting me in my choices.

• Photo: Andrew Parrott

Andrew Parrott answered on 10 Mar 2022:

Yes very supportive, my parents are not scientists but both have a related background (computer programmer, telecommunications engineer) so I think they could see the benefit of the subject easily. I think they find it hard to understand the benefit of research sometimes (as often things don’t work, but that is still useful knowledge!) and are surprised at the rather insecure nature of work in academia (especially early on) but have always encouraged me to keep going.

• Photo: Ioanna Maria Pateli

Ioanna Maria Pateli answered on 10 Mar 2022:

Yes very supportive. Noone else in my family is a scientist, but my dad always loved science. So they were all happy when I told them I want to start a science career.

• Photo: Lucy Jones

Lucy Jones answered on 10 Mar 2022:

My parents have been very supportive of my choice to become a scientist. I am the first in my family to have a career in science, but my parents supported me to study what I enjoy.

• Photo: Richa Sharma

Richa Sharma answered on 10 Mar 2022:

Yes my parents were very supportive of my journey. For a certain while, they wanted me to settle into a regular job early in my career. However, academics is something where you need to be passionate about continual learning and not worry about reaching a goal quickly. Once I explained this to them, they were very understanding and encouraged me to always pursue my dreams.

• Photo: Amit Vernekar

Amit Vernekar answered on 11 Mar 2022:

The happiness of parents lies with the happiness of their children. Yes! my parents were very supportive and still I get the support.

• Photo: Graeme Barker

Graeme Barker answered on 11 Mar 2022:

Yes, very supportive. Neither is a scientist themselves, but could easily see that science was a productive career path, with good prospects for getting a well paid and intersting job at the end of the journey.

• Photo: Fiona Fotherby

Fiona Fotherby answered on 11 Mar 2022:

Yes both my parents were supportive of me going to university and studying science. They encouraged me to challenge myself. Although my parents are separated, and my mom has only an associates degree in Fashion and my father has a masters in Computer Science, they encouraged me to complete the highest degree (PhD) in research in my field (Chemistry), and I am thankful that they pushed me. Never stop learning, you all!

• Photo: Stephen Doughty

Stephen Doughty answered on 14 Mar 2022:

Yes very supportive. My Dad had been the first in his family to go to university (my Mum didn’t go to University) and then he did his PhD at night-school whilst working – so he was keen to make my path easy.

• Photo: Hayley Russell

Hayley Russell answered on 14 Mar 2022:

My parents have always been supportive, but I was the first person in my family to go to uni and at times I think my parents struggles to understand/relate to what I was doing

• Photo: Lesley Howell

Lesley Howell answered on 15 Mar 2022:

Very much so – they wanted both me and my sister to go to university.

• Photo: Sophie Strickfuss

Sophie Strickfuss answered on 16 Mar 2022:

Mine were very supportive because they believed a career in science would be successful and that I had the motivation to do well.

• Photo: Mahoulo Ahouansou

Mahoulo Ahouansou answered on 17 Mar 2022:

Yes and I am the only scientist in my family. My mother even bought me science kit to play with for Christmas etc.